Tuesday, January 19, 2010

First Day in Bimini



After much anticipation of my trip to Bimini, I am finally here and speechless at how beautiful it truly is. The flight in the nine seater was a little interesting, as the book "Pilots guide to the Bahamas" was on the floor in the cockpit. The lab is identical to the pictures on their website (basically a double wide trailer), but it was bigger than I was anticipating. I am sharing a room with Jon (Yawn) from Switzerland, , and Tyler from Vermont.

We had a class on longlining yesterday as we are setting the long lines tonight. This is done once a month to check the overall population of sharks on Bimini. We will be checking the lines every 4 hours and if something interesting is caught the entire lab will wake up to go look at it. They haven't set the schedule for the checks but I would be up for one of the midnight checks. We have a class on shark handling this afternoon and a shark dive this morning. I will be sure to take lots of pictures. So long for now

No comments:

Post a Comment