Monday, March 15, 2010

A Shark's Perspective


It has been two months since flying over Bimini and setting eyes on the island that I have grown attached. My juvenile fascination of sharks has turned into passion--ironically for juvenile lemon sharks. As I face the final month of this experience, I am eager to build on the knowledge I have already gained while encountering more and more sharks.I am excited to explore more ways to get involved in research and conservation in Florida so that I can continue to be around these amazing animals.

In preparation for a new volunteer, we spent half of yesterday turning the lab upside down and cleaned the lab (don't think the lab only gets cleaned once a month, it gets cleaned everyday).Everything, and I mean everything inside and outside was cleaned. Every nook and cranny in the kitchen, bleaching the kitchen chairs, raking the back beach, washing and waxing all of our vehicles, and washing the dogs are just to name a few.
We finished before lunch and were able to take the second half of the day off to do what we wanted around the island. I took the opportunity to rekindle my love for photography and spent some time taking pictures in the pens and of the mangroves behind the lab. I wanted to experiment with my underwater housing and I got some pretty good shots from a "sharks perspective". The last picture is a pretty cool piece of driftwood that is on our back beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment