Sunday, February 14, 2010

A Chance To Cook

Before coming to the lab a month ago I was very worried about the food and expected cafeteria style meals. Despite those negative thoughts I am yet to be dissapointed and look forward to supper (for you mid-westerners) everyday. Our meals are all made from scratch and rival the cooking of the great cooks in my life. Needless to say I am learning new recipes and I am very excited to learn to make bread on my next duty day. However, on our days off we have to fend for ourselves by either going out and getting dinner at one of the three restaurants on the island or cooking something from the food available at the lab. The recent schedule and weather allowed us to have basically two days off in a row and I have offered to cook dinner both nights for anyone who wanted it. Last night I cooked a spicy spaghetti sauce from scratch that reminded me of the time I cooked spaghetti for all 35 baseball players in college. It was delicious and had everyone around the table sniffling because of the spice. With food stocks low (we are getting replinished tomorrow with the arrival of new volunteers) I whipped together my new favorite recipe courtesy of Heidi's Mom. I cooked sesame chicken (without sesame seeds) with a sweet and sour sauce over rice for all the volunteers in the lab. It turned out great and it is awesome to cook something other people enjoy. Although cooking is a lot more enjoyable when other people offer to wash the dishes, I have a lot more appreciation for the lab manager who cooks meals for us on a daily basis.

1 comment:

  1. Might have to get some famous Mama Cox Pasta Salad together for the bunch down there

    ReplyDelete